by Sophie Beart from Babbu
As your child grows and develops, there comes a time when you start to question whether they are ready for a toddler bed. Moving from a cot to a toddler bed is a significant milestone in your child’s development and is an exciting time for both you and your little one! However, it is essential to ensure that your child is ready for this transition to make it a smooth and healthy process.
A comfortable and healthy sleep environment is crucial for a child’s overall growth and development. Providing your little one with a comfortable and familiar sleeping space can help them develop healthy sleeping habits that will benefit them in the long run.
Before transitioning your little one to a toddler bed, it is important to take note of their sleeping patterns and behaviour.
Here are 3 signs that your little one might be ready for a toddler bed:
- Your little one is consistently climbing out of their crib (this typically happens around 2 years of age)
- Your little one is expressing a desire for a “big kid” bed.
- Your child is restless or has difficulty sleeping in their crib, it may be an indication that they are ready for a larger sleeping space.
How to make the transition a little easier
If your little one is finding it difficult to adjust or is resisting the move to a new location, there are a few things you can do to make them feel more comfortable.
For instance, you can…
- Place a mattress on the floor
- Acquire a toddler bed with a guard rail that resembles their old cot bars
- Use night-lights to create a warm and inviting atmosphere in their new surroundings. You could even try Zed, the sleep soother from Rockit, which sends calming vibrations through the mattress.
- Using white noise or other soothing sounds can also help to settle children in a new and unfamiliar environment. Wooshh offers 8 sounds including white noise, a cat purring and even a soothing sound recorded in deep space (used with kind permission from NASA!)
It is important to create a night-time routine that is consistent and familiar to your child to help them adjust to their new sleeping space.
The Great Escape!
If your little one tends to wander from their room, you may also want to invest in a baby gate to keep them safe or prevent them from falling down stairs. Additionally, it may be helpful to explain to your little one that their exciting new bed is meant for sleeping, much like their old cot.
Princess and the Pea? Finding the right bed is important!
- Choose a toddler bed with a low height: Your little one is still developing their balance and coordination, so it’s important to select a bed that is low to the ground.
- Look for a sturdy construction: Your little one is becoming more active and beds can sometimes be repurposed into a trampoline! A sturdy bed frame will ensure the bed can withstand rough play and remain stable.
- Opt for a convertible bed: Convertible beds are designed to grow with your little one, allowing you to convert the bed from a toddler bed into a larger size bed as your child grows. This can save you money in the long run and eliminate the need to purchase a new bed when your child outgrows the toddler size.
- Go bed shopping together! Choosing a bed together that is fun and visually appealing to your little one can help make the transition from their cot to their new bed a more exciting and enjoyable experience for your little one!
- Involve them in the decoration of their bed: You could also involve your little one in choosing a duvet or top cover for their bed, whether it’s printed in their favourite colour or pattern!
Babbu is the UK’s first online nursery™; designed to support, reassure and empower parents and their children in the first critical few years. Our activities respect children’s individuality allowing them to be true to themselves, and help develop their respect for others, the community and the environment. We provide tailored educational activities and content to support parents, at home – our aim is to make Early Years Education easy, accessible and fun.